Great writing from just a little west of famous       

Featured Book
Saul
Just West of Famous
Charles Baxter doesn't pull any punches when he answers Lisa Coutant's questions in this month's author interview.
In this issue:
An encore poem from Gol McAdam

Claire Litton's amazing Authenticity Leads

A collection of poetry from Craig Kirchner

New fiction from Maria Pollack and Josh Stewart

Plus great poetry from Corie Feiner, Gary Wilkins, and Sherry Pasquerello
Coming Next Month
Anne Frasier has some fresh ideas about how to boost her book sales,

Ron Hogan is the ultimate literary insider - and next month he's going to take the Picolata Review into his world for an exclusive look around.

Plus:More great poetry, short fiction, and features. Enough great writing to satisfy any literary palate.

Want to submit to The Picolata Review? Send your submissions and queries to submissions@picolatareview.org

Complete guidelines can be found here.
The Picolata Review
Managing Editor Mark Pettus is a full time journalist in St. Augustine, Florida, and author of the novel, Transit Gloria

Features Editor Lisa Coutant is a consultant, former writer for the Philadelphia Theatre Review, and a fiction writer. She is also Vice President of the professional writing group, Pennwriters.

Poetry Editor Andy H-H., is a poet who lives in the beautiful countryside of West Yorkshire with his partner and a menagerie of pets (a sheep occasionally stares in through the kitchen window), in a home surrounded by literary history. Ted Hughes was born there, Sylvia Plath is buried nearby, and first Emily Bronte, then Kate Bush, made a certain stretch of desolate land five minutes' walk away very famous indeed.

Fiction Editor Serenity Banks's day job is as an industry magazine editor. She also writes an online sex-advice column, and is trying to find an agent for her latest horror novel.

The Picolata Review is a monthly online publication, and a place to find emerging writers and poets. We welcome you, and hope we'll see you again. If you forget our address, look for us just a little west of famous.
Supported by

Volume 1, Number 2 August, 2006
Our Inaugural Issue
Picolata was originally a Spanish fort located on the St. Johns River seven leagues west of St. Augustine. The fort is now underwater, but Picolata survives as a small village. St. Augustine is known around the world as America's oldest city, but only the locals know about Picolata. You might say it's located just a little west of famous.

This is The Picolata Review, a new magazine dedicated to great writing by talented authors and poets who are also just a little west of famous. We hope you enjoy our first edition, and will consider us your new home for top quality short fiction, poetry, and essays on subjects related to literature and culture.

When I count the number of talented people it took to bring The Picolata Review to life, I run out of fingers and toes before I run out of people to thank. If you like what you see, credit goes first to the writers and poets who trusted us with their work, and next to poetry editor Andy H. and features editor Lisa Coutant. All good work is theirs. Anything else - including misspelled words or formatting errors - is mine. (When it rains, it pours, and at fiction editor Serenity Banks's house, it pours right into the living room. She is dealing with a leaky roof and has tried repeatedly to submit her resignation, which I've refused to accept. She deserves neither blame nor credit for this issue, but will get her share of both in future editions.)

Mark Pettus,
Managing Editor
The Picolata Review







Inside The Picolata Review:






I am Chinese
by Jamie Ford

My father was a nationalist. Still in his early teens, he raised money in 1915 to fight the Manchus when Dr. Sun Yat-Sen visited Seattle's Chinatown. Now he was busy raising thousands of dollars to fight the Japanese back home. His home. I was born here.

So when he pinned a button to my school shirt that read "I am Chinese," and told me to never remove it... continued







Lisa Coutant interviews
Pulitzer Prize finalist Lee Martin

Lisa: How has your life changed since being nominated for the Pulitzer?

Lee: Well, the big change is the fact that I now have a contract for my next novel, a book I'm being very secretive about. I haven't even told my editor... more







Flags
by Riki Garcia Rebel

I knew a man who
ejaculated into the shower drain and asked
do you think I just got aids... continued







The Question of Laura
Short fiction by Jeff Neale

They never accused me of her murder, and that is good, because I did not kill her... continued







Dipping
poetry by Gol McAdams

We are heading for the lake,
the grass banks down beneath our feet
and below... continued







The Picolata Reviews: Rules for Old Men Waiting, by Peter Pouncey
A book review by Debra Hamel

After the death of his wife Margaret in the spring of 1987, Robert MacIver himself fell into disrepair... continued







The Emerging Writers Network's
Dan Wickett, on Reading, Writing, and Remaining Relevant

with Lisa Coutant



I just wanted to get people thinking about buying books by writers I thought deserved more attention... more





Original Poetry
by Geoffrey Philp

Barefoot and secluded
in our seaside hotel,
we barely feel the groundswell... continued







Powerful New Fiction
from Hannah Pfeifle

Mid-afternoon and it's already dark. I have the covers up close to my chin and my eyes squeezed shut and I ignore Tully's whispered "Babe," even though I've been lying here awake for hours waiting for him.

"It's three in the afternoon." continued







The Resurrection of My Heart
an excerpt from Janet Thorning's debut novel

I lived in a tiny Manhattan apartment. I was happy there. On Saturday mornings, I walked two blocks to my favorite bakery for a cinnamon bagel; and then to my favorite book store... continued






Prelude to Redemption
poetry by Santiago B. Villafania

much younger now
we the poets
of the brave new race... continued







A memoir of Princess Caterina
Rachmaninoff's favorite pianist
by her grandson, Prince Louis Richard II de la Pau

There are some things that you never forget. And the funny thing is that they're not the major events - graduation, losing your virginity, or buying your first car. No. It's the little things that stick in your mind and come to you in the middle of a sleepless night... continued




Link to this article  
Start or join a discussion about this article
<< Home
 
Supported by

Powells.com

Inside This Edition
Our Sponsor
For information about sponsoring The Picolata Review, and having your ad in this space, email picolatareview@comcast.net
Links
Previous Issues

July 2006

Site design by

www.isnaini.com

Search
 
The Picolata Review
Web